Thursday, April 21, 2011

Last week we took one day off from doing "schoolwork" and did Home Ec all day :) I think I enjoy that more then "schoolwork" :) I let the kids pick one recipe they wanted to help mommy with. Thankfully I had made "healthy" smoothies since the recipes we were making were not so healthy and there were a lot of taste testing going on that morning :)
I can't remember everything I put in this smoothie but it had strawberry, pineapple, almond milk, spinach and some wheat germ and I'm sure some other fruit....like I have said before I just use any fruit I have, frozen or fresh.

This was the coffee cake nathanael helped me with. It was good but I prefer a sour cream coffee cake with blueberries :)


Madison helped make homemade brownies. Now these were good: go to Allrecipes and they are called Chewy Brownies. I just left out the nuts and I did change some stuff after reading the reviews. They were great with icecream and chocolate syrup!






Now these were the bomb! Yea Sarah you got me saying it now :) we have made these homemade granola bars many times to take with us to parks. Here is the recipe for these:


Easy Cereal Bars:

1 cup honey

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup Oats (I use quick oats)

4 cups puff cereal (rice Krispies)

2 cups of whatever you want to add in (raisins, chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts)


You first melt the honey and peanut butter on low on stove or in microwave. Add in cereal and oats. mix. Toss in add ins. Finish mixing and dump in 13 by 9 Pan and spread. Chill in refrig for 30 min or more.


Like I said we have made these a lot and have tried several different add ins. I do put in wheat germ or flax seed just for added fiber :) So next time you go to a park this is a great snack for the kids and it is filling.






1 comment:

MaMa Vaughn said...

Mercy girl. that's alot of baking! :) Thanks for letting me try those bars. :) Any day, I'll taste test for ya!