Wednesday, April 13, 2011

getting frugal with house products

This past month Brett and I have gone back to REALLY sticking to our budget. (we really want to put save money to buy a second vehicle). Some months we are good then other months, well we are bad and and splurge way too much. Yes I may still use coupons but money is being wasted by being lazy and doing what is "convenient". I am too lazy to get up and fix my hubby's breakfast and he has to do fast food or I don't plan our meals so its easier to go out to eat or I buy stuff that is more "convenient" and waste more money than if I made it myself. So back to planning meals and sticking to it, getting up and making brett's lunches and even found ways to "make" my own baby food, kids smoothies (instead of going for shakes), freezer pops, laundry detergent, household cleaning supplies, and even air freshners. I know I might be going overboard but again when you look at how much you spend on laundry soap and cleaning supplies its crazy especially when you use it as much as I do. Thought I would pass along some of the recipes I have found so if you are feeling frugal and want to try some :) Spray for house instead of frebreeze: 12 drops eucalyptus oil 10 drops lavendar oil 14 drops orange oil 1/2 cup distilled water Pour distilled water into spray bottle(dark glass one if possible) add essential oils shake gently but thoroughly before using vegatable and fruit spray: for hard skinned fruit and veggies: fill spray bottle with equal parts white vinegar and water then spray the solution onto yor fruits and veggies; rub it in and rinse for soft skinned: fill bowl with equal parts white vinegar and water then soak your fruits or veggies in solution for minute or two then rinse spray for cleaning toys or bathroom counters, toilets: 1/4 cup bleach 2 1/4 cup water make sure you mark the bottle :) Kitchen cleaner: Empty spray bottle white distilled vinegar antibacterial dish detergent fill bottle with vinegar and then spray on counter and let set for minute then clean off with towel or fill bottle with 3 drops of dish detergent and fill rest with water. shake bottle then spray surface and wipe clean Floors: Add 1 cup vinegar with 1 gallon of water and mop away :) and so you see there are a lot of "homemade" cleaners...I found some window recipes using Dawn dishwashing soap (my sister has used that and has said it works great). Next time you go to store pick up empty spray bottles, dawn soap, and white vinegar and you can make almost any kind of cleaner and it is a lot less expensive then buying the $3 or $4 bottles of the name brand cleaner which in most cases are toxic anyway! so in what ways do you try to save money?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ewww, what happens when you HATE the smell of vinegar and bleach???? The homemade Febreeze air freshener is the only on that sounds like it would smell good. You need to become a CVSaholic and then you'll get these items super cheap. I don't pay more than a couple bucks on laundry detergent unless it's Tide and $4 is my max for that. I bought Wisk laundry detergent for 50 cents today at Bi-Lo!! Move to Greenville, SC and we can start shopping together and drive all the cashiers crazy with our couponing!

The Doggett Clan said...

you would be proud i sat down tonight and got my coupons out and cvs and rite aid papers for next week im ready to go for sunday aftenoon. and for your info my blech water doesnt smell very strong so it doesnt bother me but if i want smelly stuff i can put some oils in it :)

Judy said...

Do you mind sharing your laundry detergent thing? I don't buy most of the stuff we get, but it makes me sick to see how much is spent on just laundry detergent!